Friday, December 3, 2010

Remembering a hero


Macades unit lost one of their leaders yesterday. I knew it would be difficult, but I never imagined this unique hurt for someone I don't even know. It hits far too close to home.
I spoke with Macade this morning who wasn't going to mention anything, but was acting different. I told him I had watched the news and he asked what I had heard. I told him that I knew that Sgt Thode had been killed. Macades obvious relief at being able to release some emotion was evident. We shared a few tears as we spoke about what a great leader Sgt Thode was and how much Macade respected him. He then wiped away his tears and told me that Sgt Thode would want them to go on with their work. He told me,"this is war" and that he still has a mission to accomplish. It is a very emotional time for all of the guys out there.
On a lighter note, we talked about how happy he will be to come home and be with loved ones for a while. He wants to "hang out" and go look at motorcycles. He is very excited and talks about it every time we talk. He has developed a deeper appreciation for family and still tells me every time to tell everyone he loves them and will see them soon.
Everyone, take a moment to remember our troops today. The very men that put their lives on the line every day. I told him he is a hero and I have no doubt that his response is echoed every day in his camp. He tells me "I'm just doing my job." Think about your job and what is required of you and say a little prayer for those that have commitment to something far bigger than themselves.
Thanks for all of your support as we struggle to make it through this deployment. We appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Love and prayers. Prayers and Love. Every day and Every Night. G-ma G.B.W.Y.

    ReplyDelete