Friday, December 31, 2010

2011

Well the beginning of a new year is here and here I sit contemplating how blessed we are. I feel very lucky to...........
You know what? I am not sure what I feel lucky about! I am sad that my kid is around the country fighting in a battle that can't be won. I am sick of the pit in my stomach and concern every time the freakin phone rings. I am tired of avoiding the news and yet being drawn to it. I don't like to even think about him hopping out of his truck to put his life on the line and yet it constantly is invading my thoughts and filling my dreams. I don't want him to feel nervous about coming home because he is different. Breathe, breathe...
OK, this is not my gripe about the war blog. I really do have hope for 2011. I hope it is a good year for Cade. I hope he continues to grow.
He has started ordering himself birthday presents for his leave time. He feels very lucky to have such awesome friends and family at home. He can't wait to thank you all personally for being so supportive.
A couple of things I thought to ask him about next time we talk: Have you seen any camels? What about little donkeys? Do you live in a tent? (It doesn't look like it, but what do I know?) If anyone wants to know something, let me know and I will ask. He may not be able to tell me some things, but we can try.
Sorry to be so negative. Must be the winter blues. But I also want to write how it is. For this is a documentation of his deployment for us to look back at if we need or want to. I am still hesitant to put in any harsh details that he has told me. I don't want to freak anyone else out!
Anyway, Happy New Year!
Here is to a better year for the soldiers in Afghanistan and elsewhere. May more lives be spared. Let Macade and the rest of his unit come home safe. Let them move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment