Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Warning

Hey all. Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't spoken to Cade since Sunday, but he warned me he would be working so no biggie. Sterling got to talk with him yesterday and he says he is fine.
So, we got a phone call last night from a group claiming to donate money to homeless veterans. Sterling, in a fit of compassion for veterans given our current affairs, began to give them a credit card number. Luckily, he got a bad feeling about it when he heard laughing and such in the background. (Sounded like a party). He immediately hung up before finishing his number and called the Orem police and his cc company.
So, the moral of this story is... Don't give your cc info to anyone over the phone! We don't know if they were even legitimate. But a reputable company would never ask for that info over the phone or they would have some other way of billing you.
At all my Army meetings, we have been told to not let people prey on our emotional state. People will search out those with family serving and abuse the situation. Sterling and I feel like somehow they knew that we had a loved one out and it wouldn't take much to convince us to donate.
Now, I have donated to such organizations as the USO. I wasn't convinced that it would make a difference at first, but the first phone call we got from Cade was provided by the USO. They do hound you for more donations once you have given, but to me, that is a worthwhile charity. Once again, I would never give them my info over the phone.
So, beware of those that are heartless. Especially during the holidays.
Thanks for all your support. Our family feels your prayers on our behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment