Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Reintegration!

Sterling, Nina and I spent some time this past weekend at a reintegration yellow ribbon lunch. I gotta say, it is tough to listen to. I am sure glad they are honest with us but at the same time it is terrifying what we have to look forward to. At this meeting, we were able to ask a panel of professionals and soldiers and a wife questions about coming home and how it will affect our families. They shared a lot of important information. They pretty much confirmed that most, if not all, of these men will deal with some PTSD at some level. I loved that they reminded us to be kind and patient with each other all the time. That we should be willing to listen day or night to whatever our soldier has to tell us. I feel liked Macade is pretty lucky to just be coming home to a clean slate. He has no wife or children to try to re acclimate to. I do hope he does not spend a lot of time alone. Family and friends, I would ask that you all be willing and able to listen, not talk, but listen when he needs someone to talk to. I recall that one man was asked in church how he was doing after deployment. He said he was fine and appreciated the man asking. But then the man asked if he had ever been in a fire fight out there. This soldier lost it in church. He felt like this man had no right to ask him such a personal question. He f-bombed him in church!! Yikes! So, I think it is important for everyone to realize that Cade gets asked some of the most rude, personal, and thoughtless questions on a daily basis when he is home. Let's be part of the solution IF he wants to talk about it. Please don't ask him questions that he may not want to respond to. I am sure it will be an adventure around here for a while, but we are educating ourselves and trying to be prepared. We love you all and thank you all for your support.

1 comment:

  1. He is lucky to come home to such an amazing mom. You guys are so amazing...I am so impressed with all you do to make sure Cade is taken care of. The kid is loved. By many. We will be ready to do what ever we can to help. And...I will not miss a lunch date! I can't wait to listen. All day. :)

    ReplyDelete